Saturday, 16 March 2024

Landscape Horses for Assessment Courses



A question I often come across is
"what type of landscape document is needed when"? Do you need an LVIA or an LVA? What is the difference and when are they most (cost) effective?

Its not unusual to meet clients who have been sold an LVIA too early in the design process when they have no scheme to assess, when a technical note or other initial due diligence advice would have sufficed, and been cheaper, so here is your handy guide to finding the right landscape horse for your course.


What is It?

When Do you Need It?

What Does it Do?

Benefits

Cons

 

 

 

 

 

LVIA

Landscape and Visual Impact Assessment

Planning applications

EIA development

Complicated / sensitive sites with numerous receptor groups

Uses defined sensitivity, magnitude and significance criteria to define the comparative importance of identified likely effects

Clearly defined criteria that can be compared

Expensive

Jargony

Inaccessible

Can be unnecessarily lengthy

LVA

Landscape and Visual Appraisal

Planning applications

Non EIA development

Less complicated / sensitive sites

Less clearly defined. Similar to LVIA but simpler and doesn’t need to use assessment criteria although this varies by provider

Simpler, cheaper, easier to understand and more accessible

No defined criteria to make comparisons

Technical Note

Pre app discussions

Representations on more complicated sites where vision document alone isn’t ‘enough’

Identifies risks and opportunities

Makes recommendations to masterplan design

Helps define developable area

Tells the story

Cheaper than LVA

'Does the job'

 

Generally needs to be ‘upgraded’ for an application

Scribbles and Emails

Development of masterplan proposals

When you need to understand potential developable area

Identifies opportunities and constraints

Helps give realistic idea of developable area

Identifies red flags

Very cheap

'Does the job'

No formal outputs

 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Wendy. I find this very interesting and fully support the message that you are sending. My experience is that most people do not know the difference between LVIAs and LVAs.

    My slight slant on this is that I am forever being asked for full LVIA’s for small jobs. It might be something to do with the area I am in which is predominantly covered by the Kent Downs AONB, which triggers an immediate reaction that all development within it needs one, even one-off houses, and non-major edge of settlement resi schemes.

    I do maybe five or so assessments a year, so I class myself as competent at doing them rather than an expert, but I always try to advise clients that LVA’s are a better option in most cases. My challenge as the author is to make these LVA’s as concise as possible, and don’t just become LVIA’s with a few word changes such as changing ‘overall significance’ to ‘overall effects’, and instead really try to nail down the actual issues. I often feel this can be done on smaller jobs with one analysis drawing, a few simple annotated photos, and a page of bulleted points, as opposed to 40+ pages of regurgitated guff! That doesn’t happen often though as I guess its easier to follow the formulaic LVIA approach (or close to it) rather than trying to do simple bespoke LVA’s, that will be challenged by authorities/statutory bodies for not “technically” following the prescribed GLVIA.

    Rant over and hope you are keeping well 😊

    ReplyDelete