Monday, 28 April 2014

Begin at the Beginning

I am a Landscape Architect, or indeed, a Landscape Planner. I say this in the complete knowledge that many of you will say 'A what?'  This blog is partly aimed at those who will know what a Landscape Planner is, those who suspect what it might be, and those who will think I am a garden designer. Regardless of your background, these issues affect each and every one of you to some degree. Each and every one of you lives in the landscape, whether it be full of fields and cows or skyscrapers and KFCs. The built landscape is still the landscape and still falls within the remit of the Landscape Architect.

Landscape Architects specialise in a variety of areas, from detailed Garden and Landscape Designers to strategic scale Urban Designers. I'm never sure who deserves the capital letter and who doesn't so I shall hand them out willy nilly so as not to offend. My specialism is Landscape Planning, basically anything that relates to the planning process and the landscape together. Landscape Architects manage change within the landscape, my bit usually relates to whatever developers are getting up to at any time.

During my work, I have frequent thoughts regarding the future of the landscape. Development pressure is a key issue and is rising within the public awareness on an annual basis. This affects you all in one way or another and someone needs to ask more pertinent questions. Apparently that person is going to be me.

No comments:

Post a Comment